SEO project update #2
October has been a busy month. Q4 always tends to get hectic for all agencies, and we are no exception. Unfortunately, this meant we had less time than we would have liked to spend on project Jupiter.
On the bright side, we did have some time away from the office to plan ahead and really reflect on what we would like this website to become.
For many, SEO is mostly a game of cheating. What can you do to “trick” Google into thinking your content is better than everybody else’s. It is tempting, we are not going to lie. Seeing traffic grow quickly is addictive. And when it happens, it is easy to find all sorts of justifications for whatever ranking techniques you are using at that time.
But we love the internet, and we feel it’s every content creator’s responsibility to keep it healthy and make it a better place. That means no click-bate, no repeating what has already been said thousands of times, no stuffing words into an article just to meet a desired wordcount… in other words, play nice, like we all know we should and as Google has always been telling us to do if we want to remain relevant and not be affected by updates.
Strategy wise this means we are going to be looking at our E-A-T a lot more from now on. Even if it means publishing less, or spending more to keep up with the publishing rhythm.
Of course, there will still be keyword research involved, internal linking, referencing, and all the other healthy SEO practices we’ve always used. But they will always become second to quality, relevance and uniqueness.
And now, after this brief moment of reflection, let’s move on to the part you were probably looking for, the numbers, progress and current state of each project.
What was done
October was the first full month online for project Jupiter. Here we failed to publish as much as we would have liked. We only published 4 new articles, but we are very happy with the quality of the content we’ve produced, which also includes some custom-made charts and graphics.
As soon as we realized we were not going to reach our publishing goals for project Jupiter, we put the word out that we were looking for writers to help out. We found two very promising ones and offered contracts to both. Unfortunately, one of them had temporarily declined due to illness, but the other one is already working with us and really knows a lot about the subject, so we are excited about the collaboration.
Our team also wrote a brand voice guide for Jupiter. With this, we have a better vision of what we want to achieve, and we could also brief our writers quicker and more effectively, giving them the proper directions and guidelines.
- The site currently has 11 published articles.
- We have a total of 6 pages ranking for just a couple of keywords.
- Organic traffic is still non-existing
- Increase publication rhythm – Hopefully the second writer will recover soon and be able to join us. If not, we might consider finding a replacement. At the end of the day, we’ll need to do whatever it takes to publish more content than we did in October.
- Highlight our E-A-T – This month we plan on doing some changes to the website to really show who our writers are and their expertise. We are investing a significant amount in working with true professionals in the field, so we want to make sure Google knows about that.
- Take some actions to try to get more of our content indexed.